Absolution—that is, the declaration that your sins are forgiven in Jesus Christ—has fallen on hard times. In many churches, you will never hear the words: “Your sins are forgiven. Go in peace!”
This is a sad fact, because the grace that God has shown us in and through the work of his son, Jesus, is the best news the church has to offer a broken, rebellious, and sinful world. In an effort to recover forgiveness in our churches, here are five things you need to hear about forgiveness.
For all of you who trust in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation, here are five things that God promises and says to you right now.
1. I will remember your sin no more. (Jeremiah 31:34; Hebrews 8:12)
2. If you confess your sins, I am faithful and just to forgive you of them and will cleanse you from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
3. My grace is a gift; this is not something you can earn or have earned. So, take it! There is no cost to you; the cost was to my son. (Romans 3:24–26)
4. Although your sins are like scarlet, they are now as white as snow; though they were red as crimson, they are now like wool to me. I forgive you. (Isaiah 1:18)
5. If you are in Christ, the new creation has come. The old is gone. You are no longer who you were. You are not defined by all of those things you once did. You are now defined by what Christ has done for you. The new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:17)