Episode 347 Show Notes
From the Show
The whole word, the whole counsel of God, all of the scriptures are to be preached regularly. Both the law and the gospel, but it's the gospel that creates faith. It’s not God's threats and commands that produce faith- that produces terror so that we flee to the Gospel. The Gospel tells us what God has done in Christ. The law says “do,” the Gospel says, “done.” So, you need the gospel. The apostle Paul said in Galatians 1:8, “But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.” That's pretty extreme. Moreover, listen to what he says, he proclaims an anathema, an excommunication, on himself if he preaches a different gospel. Notice, it's not because he's an apostle that this gospel is true, it's because the gospel is true and he preaches it that he's an apostle.
Questions in this Episode
1. In the parable of the wheat and the tares are the tares the same as the seed of the serpent?
2. Throughout the Bible, we are told to fear God. I’m thinking of Ecclesiastes 12:13, “Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man.” What does it mean to fear God? And how does that fit with the command to love God?
3. What do you think Christians should really know about God?
4. I have heard you talk about how preaching the gospel is essential to a faithful church? Is this different from a pastor just preaching the word of God? How do I know if a pastor is preaching the gospel?
5. What is the key difference between a job and a calling? How does a Christian know if they are living out their calling?
The Gospel-Driven Life: Being Good News People in a Bad News World by Michael Horton
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.