Episode 58 Show Notes
Did Jesus Think the End of the Age Would Come Quickly?
From the Show
Does the story of Jonah prove that God changes his mind?
God promised sure destruction if the Ninevites didn't repent, but they did. God had already purposed to give them repentance and faith through Jonah's message. So, there's God's eternal purpose, which never changes, and his revealed will, which is that all who repent and believe will be saved.
We're taught in Malachi 3:6 for example, “I the Lord do not change. Therefore, O children of Jacob, you are not consumed.” That's a great passage for showing us how important it is that God doesn't change, it's good news. The point there is that if he were dependent on what his people did then he would have wiped Israel out for good long ago because of their sins, but his eternal plan isn't dependent on what we do. And that's really good news, not just for Israel, but for us. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. In the Gospel’s Jesus preaches about the kingdom of God coming soon as if he expected the kingdom of God to come in his lifetime. And then when he died and rose the apostles also seemed to think that the kingdom of God would come with the return of Jesus at the end of the age. I don’t understand why Jesus preached about the end of the age coming quickly when it still hasn’t come. Can you explain this?
2. Can you explain to me the post-millennial view of end times? I have heard a person refer to this as a heresy. Is that true?
3. What do you think is really important for new Christians to know about the gospel?
4. What do you think is really important for new Christians to know about the gospel? What do you think we should really focus on?
5. In the story of Jonah God seemed to change his mind. He promised sure destruction but when they repented God spared them. This is different from what I grew up hearing, that God never changes his mind. Is there a contradiction here?
6. What do you think is really important about being a Christian man? What do you think is a weakness among Christian men today that we should address and how should we go about growing in these areas?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.