Episode 134 Show Notes
Is It Okay For Christians to Drink Alcohol?
From the Show
Is it okay for Christians to drink alcohol in moderation or is it better not to drink at all?
When it comes to these issues where God has not ruled something out, we have to exercise wisdom. It's really easy to make a rule and it's really easy to break a rule. I grew up in make-a-rule churches, just make a rule for it and build a hedge around God's commandments, just like the Pharisees did: “well, yeah, it may not be an actual rule in the Bible but, you know, if you follow this, then it will be easier for you to keep the commands God has given you.” That's building a hedge around the law.
God has given us freedom. He's given us liberty, but not to use that liberty for license. Don't just make a rule and break a rule…it takes a long time to develop the muscle of prudence, of wisdom, of discretion, of making decisions based on the evidence, saying, “okay, maybe in this situation I'm free to have a glass of wine, but maybe not in that one, maybe here but not there,” all of those decisions take critical thinking that a lot of people just reject by either making a rule or breaking one. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. What hope is there for people who think that God has given them more than they can handle?
2. How often should we take the Lord’s Supper?
3. What place do the courts have in telling the church whom we can marry or not marry?
4. Is it okay for Christians to drink alcohol in moderation or is it better not to drink at all?
5. How should we think about hostility and persecution in the American Church?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.