Episode 113 Show Notes
Understanding the Parable of the 10 Virgins
From the Show
If all humans are born with original sin and Jesus was fully human, then wouldn’t he also have original sin?
He was, as the writer of the Hebrews says, “at all points just like us except without sin.” He was the spotless Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. The spotless lamb in the Old Testament that was brought for sacrifice was typological of Christ, the sacrifice had to be without spot or blemish because the one bringing it was full of spots and blemishes. [He was] bringing the lamb as a substitute, so the substitute has to be pure. We all inherit Adam’s guilt before God and a corrupted nature, but Jesus did not. Adam was not his legal representative and that's why Romans 5:12-21 presents Jesus as a second Adam, a new legal representative or head. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. What does Paul mean in 1 Corinthians 1:18 when he says that the gospel is foolishness to those who are perishing?
2. My husband and I just found out we are pregnant (praise God!). There are other young mothers in the office where I work that continue to work while raising a family. In our church, however, there are very few, if any, working mothers. My husband and I have decided that I will not continue with my outside job once the baby comes, but because it is not the "social norm" in my office, I already know my boss will not be understanding when I break the news. Could you provide some Biblical references on what God says should be the right reaction to this decision and how to have that tough conversation with my employer (a devout Catholic) when the time comes?
3. I have been through two church splits over doctrine. John 17 seems to make unity really important. What do you think about this?
4. Can you explain the parable of the 10 virgins? I have heard it taught as the difference being works or love or Holy Spirit.
5. If all humans are born with original sin, and Jesus was fully human, then wouldn't he also have original sin?
6. Is it possible to focus on the gospel too much and leave out the importance of obedience or worship?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.