Episode 24 Show Notes
From the Show
The Bible tells us to raise our kids in the Lord and they will not depart from him. But there are good parents whose children are not walking with the Lord. How can we encourage those parents with God’s promises?
It's not a universal promise that if you do X, God will do Y- this isn't magic. Jacob and Esau, twins, raised in the same house, under the same covenant of grace, and yet Esau sold his birthright for a pot of stew. Hebrews 4 warns us not to be like the generation in the wilderness that heard the gospel but didn't respond in faith. And a little later in chapter six, he says, there are people who were baptized, take communion, even taste of the powers of the age to come, they regularly hear the Word of God, but they never embrace the promise for themselves. But we never know who will persevere to the end. God alone knows those who are his, Paul says in 2nd Timothy 2:19. And also, remember, prodigals do return and discover the welcoming embrace of the Father who has never given up on the them. –Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. The Bible tells us to raise our kids in the Lord and they will not depart from him. But there are good parents whose children are not walking with the Lord. How can we encourage those parents with God’s promises?
2. Why is it that you think we don’t see many miracles in the church today?
3. I know some Christians who think introspection is good and they do this regularly as a spiritual discipline and others who think that too much self-examination is bad. Where do you think the balance is?
4. When I read Psalm 8 it speaks of man in such high terms, “made a little lower than the angels.” How does this fit with human sinfulness?
5. What is your favorite Old Testament book of the Bible? What do you like about it?
6. First John 1:9 says “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins.” Does that only deal with confessed sins?
7. What does Jesus mean in John 17 that eternal life is to know him and the Father?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.