Episode 180 Show Notes
Are Denominations Biblical?
From the Show
Are denominations biblical?
No, but the church is.... The denominations themselves are not the church. But here's the thing: you clearly have in the New Testament an emphasis on churches being connected to each other. I know there are different forms of church government that people believe are taught in Scripture, or some people think that there is no form of church government at all and it doesn't make any difference. But clearly, there is a sense that all of the local churches are connected with each other. Churches should not just be Lone Ranger's out there, just as we are individually, no churches is an island. Churches should be connected to each other, as part of the one body of Christ. Denominations help serve that. I know we often think of denominations as dividing the church, splitting it up into vanilla, strawberry, cherry, and so forth, different flavors. That is true, but it's better than having no grouping of churches at all, that are connected to each other. So, I really think that denominations are not the ideal. What would be the ideal is that all of the particular churches, spread throughout the world, were united simply under one organizational institutional banner that of Jesus Christ. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. Why would Jesus tell us to be perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect when we struggle daily with sin? Isn't this an impossible command?
2. What do people mean when they say that the Kingdom of God is already and not yet? Isn’t this a contradiction?
3. If we shun people who are not connected to a church, is that not putting ourselves as judges? And didn’t Jesus say not to judge?
4. What did Jesus mean in John 3:14-15 when he says that he will be like the snake that Moses lifted up in the wilderness?
5. Are denominations biblical?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.
Episode 189 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on idolizing physical appearances, how Christians can care about the environment, and the use of...
Episode 188 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on masculinity, theological litmus tests, and Christians involvement in politics.
Episode 187 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on apostolic succession, if studying theology can get in the way of our relationship with...