Episode 291 Show Notes
From the Show
If you are a mature reader of Scripture, you are grounded in theology, to that extent you are equipped with the discernment to be able to read books that are more challenging of Christian Orthodoxy. But I think you have to be really careful about that and make sure that, as you’re doing it, you never scuba dive or rappel by yourself. You always need a really trained person with you. You need a brother who is walking with you in this and can answer your questions as you’re going through it so that you’re not tossed back and forth with every wind of doctrine.
Questions in this Episode
1. Is there wisdom in reading other theologians who are outside of the Biblical view just for the sake of learning from them or should we be really hesitant or cautions to read people who are outside of the biblical view of the faith in certain things? I’m not sure if we should read to learn or generally just study what we know to be true.
2. Psalm 101 says, “Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy.” Does this apply to gossip? What exactly is slander?
3. I have heard you talk about preaching through books of the Bible like Leviticus and Hebrews. What does it mean to preach through a book? I come from a tradition that emphasizes law-gospel preaching with set readings throughout the church year. How is preaching through a book different from what I have experienced?
4. What do you think makes for good worship music? What do you think worship leaders should think about when choosing songs?
5. Romans 3:11 says no one seeks God. Should this be taken literally? If so, how should I understand people who seem to be seeking God?
The Gospel Driven Life by Michael Horton
A Better Way: Rediscovering the Drama of God-Centered Worship by Michael Horton
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.
Episode 309 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions about the Sabbath, what it means to be created in the image of God, how to...
Episode 308 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions about the proper way to take the Lord's Supper, whether God honors the good thoughts on...