Episode 61 Show Notes
Does Taking Up Our Cross Make Us Worthy of Jesus?
From the Show
Does taking up our cross make us worthy of Jesus?
Salvation is a free gift received by faith. We are made worthy by Christ's life, death, and resurrection; but if someone refuses to follow Christ, of course, he or she doesn't deserve even be called a Christian. That's what Jesus is saying here. He's not saying, "if you haven't perfectly followed me in every particular then you lose your worthiness." He's talking about people here who say, "Well, you know, I really would like to have fire insurance. Maybe I'll say I believe in Jesus," but then at the moment that persecution comes they ditch Jesus completely. Their father or mother says, "you know, we're going to have to turn you in if you don't turn your back on Christ," and they do, they turn their back on Christ and go on happy in the family…That's the way it was, certainly, in the early Jewish-Christian community, people were being cut off left and right from their families. So, Jesus is simply saying if you're not willing to leave your nuclear family, belong to me and my new family, then you're not worthy of me." — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. In Matthew 10:38 Jesus says, “whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.” Does this mean that we have to be worthy to receive salvation?
2. There seems to be a lot of different interpretations of the book of Revelation especially once you consider it in light of current events. How should we be thinking about Revelation in light of current events and should we change our interpretation to fit the times?
3. What would you say to someone who has suffered a miscarriage? What hope do they have for their child being saved?
4. Why does Jesus call his body a temple? What does that mean?
5. I have a question about a 1 Corinthians 12:12–13. Can you explain what it means when the Bibles says made to drink of one Spirit?
6. Psalm 82:6 says that we are gods, sons of the most high. Is this a mistranslation or does the Bible teach that we are gods?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.