Episode 289 Show Notes
From the Show
The gospel should influence everything about the way you treat your kids including why you discipline them and teach them self-control. The gospel is always the motive. God’s commands, his law, give us the direction. We want to train up our kids. You need the gospel and the law there, but they do different things. You can’t motivate them with the law. You can’t angrily speak to them and expect them to follow your rules or God’s commands simply because you struck fear into them. But the commands there to follow are the ones God has given. God disciplines those he loves because he’s a loving Father who wants his children to turn away from their sinful passions to be holy. The basis of this love is the grace given in the gospel. So, our parenting should mirror God’s parenting.
Questions in this Episode
1. I’m confused about the way the gospel should guide parenting. I know that I’m supposed to show grace, but I also worry about how to go about teaching my kids discipline. We have two boys, 6 and 8. My Dad was really firm, and I don’t think I want to be as firm as he was. He rarely hugged us or said that he cared. Thanks.
2. Is it normal to have a powerful conversion experience? What would you say to someone who grow up in church and can’t remember every being born again?
3. I’m really confused. How does God’s wrath fit with judgment, especially if he can save everyone? If God is loving, I don’t see how he can also have wrath. Please help.
4. In the book of Philippians Paul says that he came to consider everything as a loss for the sake of Christ. What about Christ did Paul see to come to this conclusion?
5. Sometimes people who love doctrine seem to have very little patience for people. And then there are Christians who seem to love people but don’t seem to care much about doctrine? Where is the balance? How should we think about loving doctrine and people?
Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus by Elyse Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson
Being Dad: Father as a Picture of God's Grace by Scott Keith
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.