Episode 197 Show Notes
Is It Okay for Christians to Use Antidepressants?
From the Show
Is it okay for Christians to use antidepressants?
A third of Americans and nearly half of evangelical fundamentalists, born again Christians, believe prayer and Bible study alone can overcome serious mental illness. Nearly half- that's a serious misunderstanding of God and His way of working in our lives. It's a theological error. It's not just, you know, bad mental health advice, it's a theological error. First, God heals. God is the healer. No one has the power to heal but God, but God ordinarily heals through means. Even when Jesus performed miraculous healings, think about him healing the man born blind, what did he do? He took mud, something in God's own earth that he made, that Jesus made with the Father and the Holy Spirit, he took that and he spit in it and put it in the blind man's eyes. He didn't have to do that, but he likes working through means.... Trust God to work through doctors, and when it comes to mental health, realize that the brain is an organ just like the liver or the lungs. Most of us have no problem going to an oncologist if we have cancer. There's absolutely no reason you shouldn't go to a psychiatrist for mental health diagnosis and, if necessary, prescription. Find a good doctor, and then trust that person, whether Christian or not, as a means, a vehicle, a mask that God is wearing as he comes to you and heals you through them. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. Is it okay for Christians to use anti-depressants? When should we trust God for healing and when should we trust doctors?
2. Does God use challenges and trials to make us holy?
3. Did Jesus really descend into hell? Did Jesus need to suffer in hell to pay for our sins?
4. I love your slogan, “to know what we believe and why I believe it.” I'm struggling with how to convey that. Any help?
5. Are we sinners saved by grace, or are we saints who sin?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.
Episode 265 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on Jesus being God, the Lord’s Supper, how to know if you have been born again, and about...