Episode 184 Show Notes
Is It Wrong for Christians to Use Birth Control?
From the Show
Is it wrong for Christians to use birth control??
It's interesting that in 1 Corinthians 7:9, Paul says those who can't control themselves should marry. He doesn't just say, those who can't control themselves, you know, are going to hell. He doesn't say that if you can't control yourself, then, sorry, you're lost. He says, for those who can't, who are burning with passion, get married. “Better to marry than to burn with passion,” he says. And that assumes, of course, that fulfilling one's God-given sexual urges is a godly act. It is, it is a godly act but within the context of marriage. In fact, in verse 5 he says, “Do not withhold sex, unless it's just for a time and there's mutual consent” [paraphrase]. So, that's a pretty affirmative view of enjoying each other, because you have become one flesh. In short, there's absolutely nothing in scripture that suggests that the only reason for sex is having children. Believers are free to enjoy this wonderful bond that makes two people, one flesh. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. What is the difference between being obedient to earn salvation and being obedient as a Christian? For some reason I don’t understand what the real difference is?
2. How often should we evangelize? Can we take part in anything and not evangelize?
3. What do you mean by the Word creates the church? How does the Bible create the church? Didn’t the church pick which books went into the Bible?
4. What is the difference between giving the reason for our hope and being argumentative?
5. How can I enjoy life and life happily without being attached to the things of this world?
6. Is it wrong for Christians to use birth control?
7. When people say that being a member of a church is necessary for salvation, it confuses me because I thought we were saved by faith?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.
Episode 189 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on idolizing physical appearances, how Christians can care about the environment, and the use of...
Episode 188 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on masculinity, theological litmus tests, and Christians involvement in politics.
Episode 187 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions on apostolic succession, if studying theology can get in the way of our relationship with...