Episode 159 Show Notes
Should We Only Sing the Psalms in Worship?
From the Show
Can you explain why some Christians think that we should only sing the inspired psalms during worship and why other Christians don't believe that?
Here's my take: I agree the psalms should have the priority in our worship…. And there are some real problems in saying that the psalms aren't good enough because Christ isn't explicitly proclaimed in them. That's basically to say the psalms aren't about Christ. Jesus begs to differ: in Luke 24, he taught his disciples about himself from the law and the prophets and the psalms. In fact, most of the Old Testament promises that Jesus and the apostle's quote as being fulfilled in Christ are taken from the psalms. But, I don't believe that we can’t also sing uninspired hymns anymore than we can't preach sermons based on scripture. Sermons that are, nevertheless, not inspired scripture, but explain scripture and aren't just limited to reading the biblical text. — Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. What is your favorite Christian book?
2. What does Jesus mean in John 6:44, “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him”?
3. What do you think is really important for someone to know about being an elder?
4. Can you explain why some Christians think that we should only sing the inspired psalms during worship and why other Christians don't believe that?
5. What do you think of the idea that Jesus was not an end-times preacher, but a revolutionary who was killed because he was a threat to the political establishment?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.