Episode 39 Show Notes
How Do We Motivate People to Holiness?
From the Show
How do we motivate people to holiness?
Legalism, make a rule, or antinomianism, break a rule, seems to be the false choice that dominates our ethics today. But when you go back to the Scriptures, you realize that how we live isn't a mere set of rules or behaviors. It's the result of belonging to a particular family, the family of God, and the commands are rooted in the announcement of what God has done for us apart from our holiness by saving us in Jesus Christ by His holiness [and] by His righteousness. His law commands perfect love. We don't have that. We willfully turn away from God and our neighbor. On our own, we deserve his judgment but instead he loved us so much that he gave his only Son.
— Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. How do we motivate people to holiness?
2. What does the Bible mean in Colossians 2:15 when it talks about how Jesus disarmed the powers and authorities? Who are the powers and authorities? Are they demonic?
3. What should I know about the prophets and are there any resources that you recommend?
4. Is there a danger in focusing too much on justification?
5. In John 7:38, Jesus says, "Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water,’” What do you make of this?
6. Can you speak to the idea that God helps those who help themselves?
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.