Episode 509 Show Notes
From the Show
The focus of Jesus’ ministry is the forgiveness of sins. Even the healing of this man’s paralysis [in Mark 2] was only done to demonstrate that he has authority on earth, as the Son of Man (Daniel 7), to forgive sins. Why? Because he is going to put sins away once for all through his blood because he is God. There is no contradiction here between Jesus’ authority to pronounce forgiveness and what he is ultimately going to do on the cross. All forgiveness flows from the cross!
Questions in this Episode
1. Why are the four beasts in Daniel’s dream different than what is explained in Revelation?
2. Since God is all-knowing, and since he also sent his Son for us, for whom or for what, precisely, is Jesus interceding?
3. If I had spiritual mentors who led me the wrong way and told me to do things that were wrong, did I sin too? At the time I was very naive, and still am because I have Asperger Syndrome. But now I know it was wrong, and I wonder about verses like Mark 9:42 and Leviticus 5:17.
4. If the purpose of the cross was to redeem man and forgive sins, why do we see Jesus in the gospels forgiving people’s sins? Why did Jesus need to go to the cross at all if he could forgive sins on earth? Doesn’t this diminish the meaning of the cross if Jesus had this authority all along and could have just forgiven everyone?
5. I believe Jesus Christ died for my sins and was raised from the dead. My life is full of testimony, but I struggle with whether or not I have been made new. I do not have an awe-inspiring origin story of when I initially gave my life to Christ. I started to volunteer with youth, and I want to be positive and careful with what light I can shine.
Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Embracing The Heart Of The Gospel by Michael Horton
Core Christianity’s Gospel of John Bible Study
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.