Episode 392 Show Notes
From the Show
We often hear, "well, it's not a gospel issue." As if just because it's not central to the Christian Faith or a "gospel issue" then it's not important. Jesus said in this Great Commission, "go into all the world preach the gospel," that's the core of Christianity, "baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you." So on the one hand, what we are taking to the world, primarily, is the gospel. On the other hand, what are we doing when we're making disciples? We're not just making converts, we're making disciples, life long learners. What are they learning? Everything. God wouldn't have revealed it in Scripture if it weren't important.
— Michael Horton
Questions in this Episode
1. I’m confused by what Jesus meant when he said came before John the Baptist for baptism. He said it was to fulfill all righteousness. What did that mean if Jesus was sinless?
2. I just heard episode 282 where you talked about the three levels of forgiveness, reconciliation, and restoration—I thought that was an excellent way to talk about how to handle offenses and especially abuse from a loved one. My follow up question is this: when the abusive person is a parent and you know reconciliation or restoration is unwise or not possible, how do you still show honor to your parent?
3. Since Christians tend easily to divide with disagreements about doctrine, how do you distinguish between what is essential and what is not? Or should we treat all Biblical doctrines the same?
4. In 1 John 4:1-3 what does John mean by “spirit of antichrist”? I always thought that the antichrist would be a person.
5. Is repentance a work we do? Is it meritorious in any way or is it just a change of mind?
Devoted to God: Blueprints for Sanctification by Sinclair B. Ferguson
The Man Of Sin: Uncovering The Truth About The Antichrist by Kim Riddlebarger
Request our latest special offers here or call 1-833-THE-CORE (833-843-2673) to request them by phone.
Episode 412 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions about the flesh and spirit, the eternal subordination of the son controversy, being a...
Episode 410 | Dr. Michael Horton and Adriel Sanchez answer questions about examining yourself before communion, homosexuality, the Spirit that tormented King Saul in 1...